About Me

My photo
Gladwin, Michigan, United States
Eugene Fritcher was born in Gladwin, Michigan in 1928. He has been the subject of many articles regarding his views on preservation of lakes, rivers, wildlife and forest land. The author lived an extremely active life in his younger years, and through his many jobs, acquaintances and his own experiences, he has gathered a multitude of writing material.

Monday, April 29, 2013

WILDLIFE AND HABITAT

With a heart full of love for nature
it is not hard for me to see,
with wildlife habitat dwindling
it will soon come but memory.

Immigrant population now crowding
still our government brings in more,
searching for homes, resource and food
we can bid wild land goodbye for sure.

Thought I could make a difference
purchased a hundred acres in one spot.
With the advice of several agencies
made a pond, planted trees, food lot.

Noticing within a few short years
my efforts had gained me naught,
what game the poachers didn’t steal
my surrounding neighbors shot.

They killed hawks, owls, ducks, heron,
coyote, coot, marsh hens, bobcat,
shot squirrel, crow’ spike horn, doe,
and squint my old pet blind muskrat.

Trapped skunk coon my project doomed,
captured turtle’s for soup while laying eggs,
shot blue jays, doves cooing their love,
stole mushrooms in sacks and bags.

Broke the beaver dam opened the lodge
this flooded turkey nesting flats,
washed out trees eroded stream banks,
floated old garbage down in mats.

Liberal game laws killed the red fox.
Extended season killed the last pat.
Everything that leaves my acreage
is shot, stomped or car crushed flat.

Never time to fish my private pond
but someone found time for theft.
Bullheads, three frogs, one old snake
I find is about all that I have left.

Spray programs for moths and weeds
killed off butterflies, bees and bat,
left me one old crippled grasshopper
and Im gonna try and fish with that.

The law refuses to get involved
D.N.R., D.E.Q., Police all under staffed,
seems I’m never on the winning team,
but the one who gets the shining shaft.

I’d put my land in conservancy,
save the flowers and trees so grand,
but with my luck new laws would pass
granting developers theft of such land.

Long as big money runs our government
little chance in saving, public and private land
for wild life, recreation or natural resources.

No comments: