About Me

My photo
Gladwin, Michigan, United States
Eugene Fritcher was born in Gladwin, Michigan in 1928. He has been the subject of many articles regarding his views on preservation of lakes, rivers, wildlife and forest land. The author lived an extremely active life in his younger years, and through his many jobs, acquaintances and his own experiences, he has gathered a multitude of writing material.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Turtles

I've been feeding snapping turtles meat scrapes for ten years and they readily except offerings of hot dogs from my fingers or preferable from the end of a long stick. I do not recommend finger feeding. Turtles have excellent memories and if not killed or captured return to our pond year after year hungry for their annual summer hand out.
Snapping turtles have great vision both in and out of water with a life span of over one hundred years. It is said turtles do not have ears, though somehow they seem to detect my presence from great distance, jet skiing crossed the pond seeking my hand out.
It seems a little foolish to talk to something with out ears but I feel they get my vibrations. Many ask where did our pond turtles come from? Most found their way on their own, one was given to me and one giant I removed from an unwanted location. People say snapping turtles are mean, ugly and stink, friends many humans suffer from the same affliction. Each year our turtle count dwindles, trapped for soup, hit by cars, shot for sport and picked up on the roadside while laying eggs.
I do what I can to protect turtles and eggs by providing safe laying areas less frequented by predators such as skunks and raccoon.
Turtles are part of my life and bring me great enjoyment, would it not be sad if due to our needless slaughter and uncaring this prehistoric creature should become extinct leaving only pictures and movies to show how this so called ill tempered ugly creature will hiss and snap when tormented and teased with sticks. Law forbids the molesting of turtles laying eggs and tampering or removal of eggs from the nest. I can only ask “please do not” shoot, kill or run over turtles. Yes! A turtle shell will smash under the weight of a car. Please do not use turtles as tire targets for sport. There are endless delicacies which can be purchased on the market leaving little need to behead the poor turtle.
Recently I was informed by a friend ammonia sprinkled sparingly on top of the ground over a turtle egg nest will act as a deterrent to predators.
I have never tried ammonia as a deterrent. I protect the nest by installing an eighteen inch diameter by three to four foot tall large wire mesh screen extending both above and below the ground. Close in the top by pulling the mesh together and fasten. Be careful not to disturb the eggs during installation.
If the wire mesh opening is not large enough to allow the hatching turtles to escape they must be remove by hand.
Hatching time varies and requires a frequent watch during the months of September, October and November. I have read some newly hatched turtles do not leave the nest until the following spring, although I feel this is rare.

Written by The Turtle Man (Gene)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. Wish I had a pond so I could raise turtles too!! And frogs, cranes, ducks, etc.
R. Fritcher